The BitPusher team is composed of accomplished architects and engineers. We have created extraordinary client experiences through developing innovative services, processes, and technology standards. Working at BitPusher offers you the chance to work with a wide array of technologies and see how they work for a variety of applications. We have a strong commitment to being a leader in managed application hosting, with client satisfaction being our top priority.
We offer a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k) plan. We promote a strong learning culture, collaborative environment, interesting projects, and opportunities for growth.
All BitPusher positions are remote and may be performed anywhere within the United States. We get together as a team about twice a year, and occasional travel to other locations may be required.
BitPusher is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, religion, sex, orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Client-facing DevOps Engineering Co-lead
BitPusher is a DevOps company. We work in close partnership with our clients to design, deploy, and manage the infrastructure behind their internet-facing services.
As a team we generally have several projects in flight of varying sizes, plus ongoing management responsibilities for our clients’ cloud-based services and infrastructure.
While all BitPusher engineers interact with clients, we are moving towards having a small number of engineers who have primary responsibility for customer communication and project management. You will be the second person in this role, with your time split roughly evenly between hands-on DevOps engineering and communication/coordination.
We are looking for someone who combines strong DevOps/SRE skills with excellent communication and judgment. You will work closely with BitPusher management and with the other engineer in this role to coordinate, organize, and guide the work of a small team of mostly senior DevOps/SRE engineers, and act as a primary point of contact for several clients.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Act as primary point of contact for several BitPusher clients, interacting with client middle management and engineers.
- Provide project management and general coordination for BitPusher peer engineers, typically with responsibility for 1-2 moderately large projects and 3-4 smaller ones at any given time.
- Collaborate with the other engineer currently in a similar role (and likely with one or two others in the future) both to provide backup for each other and to ensure consistency of practices and policies.
- Work with BitPusher architects to understand BitPusher technical standards and how BitPusher makes technical decisions for clients.
- Work with BitPusher management to understand business priorities and how they relate to how we communicate with the client and how we manage their competing priorities.
- With guidance and support from BitPusher management, effectively balance between giving clients what they think they want and providing solutions which are optimized for client operational priorities while being sustainable and manageable.
- Make observations and contribute to improvements in technical, project management, documentation, and customer communication areas.
- Perform hands-on DevOps/SRE work (with flexible details within the broad scope of what the team needs to accomplish).
Requirements and qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in an operations or platform management role for internet-facing services.
- Minimum 4 years of project management, technical account management, and/or management of technical teams.
- Excellent people skills, applicable to diverse situations.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to present ideas clearly and persuasively both in meetings and in writing.
- Ability to internalize BitPusher’s norms and priorities so you can make independent judgment calls most of the time, but also know when it is appropriate to consult with peers and/or management.
- Strong conceptual understanding of AWS compute, networking, security, and storage services, with strong or moderate hands-on skills.
- Strong understanding of DevOps automation tools, including both “new” tools such as Kubernetes and Terraform and older tools such as Chef and Capistrano, with strong or moderate hands-on skills.
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of data flows and data stores, preferably including experience running large scale Kafka-based data pipelines.
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of dynamic web services in general, with experience in environments running Ruby, Java, and Go a plus.
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of Linux administration, preferably including Ubuntu and Amazon Linux.
- Experience implementing common cybersecurity compliance standards (such as NIST 800-53, SOC 2, PCI DSS) is a plus.
Client-facing Senior DevOps Engineer (Linux)
We are looking for a professional who has a track record of building high-quality service infrastructure using AWS, Linux, and modern DevOps tools. Your ability to work with a team and build according to an agreed set of principles and standards is more important than which technologies you already know.
Your understanding of what makes services reliable, performant, manageable, and secure is both conceptual and practical. You understand both how individual systems operate and how distributed systems work together. Extra depth on security and compliance in modern cloud environments is a significant plus.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work as part of a team to design and build high-quality infrastructures for existing internet-facing applications, using tools such as Terraform, Docker, and Chef.
- Build, design, and improve monitoring systems, based on tools such as Prometheus, CloudWatch, and Nagios.
- Design and document processes for infrastructure maintenance, such as patching, expansion, and troubleshooting.
- Support other engineers to help them learn and manage new infrastructure you were involved in building.
- Build tools to assist in cloud infrastructure security audits.
- Design the systems and open source software configurations for application infrastructure components such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, and Envoy Proxy; run tests to tune and validate these configurations.
- Participate in architecture, design, and automation strategy discussions.
- Interact with clients to understand application requirements and to coordinate application level testing.
- Support migration and go-live for new infrastructure and services.
- Perform complex automation tasks to support other engineers as needed.
- Participate in the on call rotation (light duties, split between several engineers).
Requirements and qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in an operations or platform development role for internet-facing services.
- Strong working knowledge of Linux administration.
- Significant experience administering modern cloud environments, especially AWS.
- Familiarity with DevOps automation tools, such as Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, Chef, and Capistrano.
- Experience with monitoring and graphing systems such as Prometheus, Nagios, and Grafana.
- Strong scripting abilities, preferably in Bash, Ruby, and/or Python.
We are not engaging recruiters or agencies at this time, direct applicants only. To apply, please send your résumé and a brief message to firstname.lastname@example.org.